Stock Market Basics
Date: Not Currently Scheduled – Please Check Back
Are you intrigued by Wall Street?
Stock Market Basics is the class for you.
- Discover fun facts about how the market works
- Do you know your risk tolerance?
- Learn the terms used by the Wall Street traders!
- What factors affect stock prices?
- What is the difference between a stock and a mutual fund?
- How can we discover what is owned by a mutual fund?
- Set up a virtual stock market portfolio and track your ‘investments’
- Prizes for the Big Winner and the Big Loser
Most work will be done in class, but there will be assigned homework in between class meetings to reinforce the topics.
Students will be expected to set up and track a virtual stock market portfolio. This process may require them to provide name and email identification when using a portfolio tracking web site or portfolio tracking software
I will be providing tutorials on setting up virtual portfolios for tracking purposes using Google Finance and Yahoo Finance. These tools are available for those with Gmail accounts and Yahoo/Ymail/Rocketmail accounts. Students may use the Morningstar.com portfolio tracking tool.
One of the five class sessions will cover retirement savings and investing as part of an overall investment strategy. Students will learn about
- Consumer Price Index and Inflation
- Time value of money
- Credit cards: tools or traps
- Dangers of debt
Students will be able to see me and hear me on my HD web cam.
Students will be able to type chat with me and their classmates. *Classroom behavioral standards apply for this privilege.
*Optional equipment–Students with microphones may be given the opportunity speak with the class during assignment collaboration or class presentations.